After weeks of delay due to IAP and hand injury, I finally finished the TFA OP piece for the belated Huevember entry, while cooking pear water.
Needless to say, I am not perfect in both of these. I confess, I do not know much of what exact colours are suitable for each parts, and as a result, some parts look lackluster (see the icons in the circles)
Still, I finally finished it, and I’ll remind myself, “Finished, not Perfect”
Back to the progress, I drew the pencil sketch in November, when I want to make another Art Nouveau piece featuring TFA characters, starring TFA OP (who is one of my favourite characters in the TFA series, BTW). All the details relate to the character at one point: his former friends above (Sentinel Prime and Elita One), the planets he inhabited and called home (Cybertron and Earth), and the icons circling around him (Space Bridge, Allspark, Elite Guard insignia, etc). Some of the icons are improvised, like the spider from Archa Seven, and the axe. His pose is made to mirror Rodimus’s for convenience, and originally I plan to have him holding his axe, but later I cancelled the idea due to the problems in composition.
Remembering the lesson from Blitzwing’s one, I use the ruler for the frames to make it look more consistent. One day, I finished both the frames and the character, and yesterday, I proceed to finish the rest of the details.
Today, I proceed to colour the details, before proceeding to the character and the planets. I colour the minor characters above in full colour, but the main character with some lighting one by one. Honestly I still have no clear idea how to colour the character in markers to look both appealing and believable in lighting, and the limitation of traditional art forbade me to do some correction to improve the piece. Honestly, colouring the piece is like venturing in the swamp of unknown, expecting every thing that could go wrong.
I noticed that the markers, combined with the paper, would make the colours blur out the lines in result. This is the opposite of what I wanted, and I will consider the fact in the future colouring. Meanwhile, I resort to find research of the environment and the planets. While the planets look fine, drawing icons with markers proved problematic, as the colours tend to blur out in tiny spaces. It is still outside my comfort zone.
Finally, I decided the BG colour would be azure blue, so to look blue without clashing with the MC’s blue parts. Afterwards, I coloured the haol with deeper blue colours, and add some shading within the frames. It…..look okay, at least. But I shall rest in peace knowing that the sketch is finished, and I have the BW version to make a better one in Photoshop later.
Oh, and I just realized that my scanner tend to blurr out in the right upper corenr for some reason. Eh, whatever. I’ll just upload a more HD version sooner.